What are Single Sided PCBs?
Single sided PCB, as known as 1 layer PCB, which is a printed circuit board with only one copper layer of conductive material above the substrate. And also the electronic components mounted on one side of the board and the conductive track connected on the other side. So,it is called the 1 layer printed circuit board, too.
Due to that there is only 1 copper conductive layer, which is easier in manufacturing process and lower cost than double sided PCB boards or multilayer circuit boards, therefore, these types of boards are commonly used in a wide variety of electronic devices with variety of applications, including: camera systems, printers, radio equipment, calculators, and much more.
Track back it’s initial story, the first single printed circuit board was made in the USA In the 1950s.
Know about Single Sided PCB Stack Up
A single sided PCB design composed by conductive and insulating layers.
In a single layer copper PCB stack up, a single copper conductive layer of copper tracks next to a substrate.
When using such a printed circuit board, an electric component connects to one side of the board. On the other hand, the other side of the circuit board shows the entire etched circuit tracks.
The stack-up design in a single copper layer PCB helps you to construct a stronger electric circuit through layers of PCB board.
Another thing is that it helps the electronic designer to minimize the circuit’s radiations.
What is the Single Side PCB Layers
Commonly, the single sided PCB manufacturing process is very simple to only use the layers of conductive and non-conductive materials.
- Firstly, it is the base material of the single side circuit board. The PCB raw material manufacturer uses insulating fiberglass to make the substrate. As a result, it strengthens the printed circuit board.
- Lastly, and most importantly the substrate’s feature gives the board a sturdy and compact form. The property from different types of base materials make different types of single sided printed circuit board accordingly.
- There is another copper layer stick above the base layer (substrate). Therefore, this layer uses a conductive material.
- Normally, the conductive layer provides a circuit path to have the current run from different electronic components soldered on this layer.
Similar as multilayer PCB board, different boards of single sided PCB also can have different copper thicknesses. Such as 1oz, 2oz, 3oz, etc.
The Reason to Choose Single Sided PCB Boards
Some crucial advantages determine that most electronic designer love to use them as a PCB design:
- High Cost-effective manufacturing
- Ideal for a high volume but simple design orders
- Cost and time saved for low-density designs
- Relatively easy to manufacture and design
- Rare chance of manufacturing issues
- Easy for repairing or debugging
- PCB fabrication process is simple and easy to program
The Universal Applications
Single layer PCB has Universal Applications. Mostly, you can use them in simple or even in complex devices such as:
- Industrial power supplies
- Automotive relay
- Switch power supply
- LED backlighting
- Equipment for packaging
- Surveillance and camera systems
- Scanners and printers
- Auto coffee machines
- In radios and stereos
- Vending machines
Design Suggestion that Affect the Cost
The physical design and manufacturing process of a single layered PCB determine its cost mostly. Usually, the single sided PCB cost depends on the following factors:
- Base material for manufacturing
- The physical size of the PCB
- The copper thickness of the conductive layer
- The thickness of the PCB sheet
- Other customize design
Why Choose Weller Technology for Your PCB Project
Reasonably that Weller Technology should be your trusted, ideal single sided PCB manufacturer upon our 10+ years manufacturing achievement and experienced team and skilled workers.
Some basic reasons below that could be our crucial advantages that others do not have:
- All surface finishing in house
- All process in house no sub-contracted process
- All files reviewed via regular engineering process by experienced engineer
- All the PCB boards is electrical tested with test report along with shipment